PERMISSION FOR LASER VEIN TREATMENT
Patient Name: _________________________________________ Date: _____________
*Please do not sign this form until you have carefully read and understand its content.*
I acknowledge and understand that the following procedure has been described to me to my satisfaction:
Laser Vein Treatment with the SYNERON e-MAX SYSTEM or CUTERA XEO
I hereby authorize and direct the personnel of AnuYou Institute, Inc., under the direction of Kevin Hirsch, MD, FACS, to perform laser assisted vein treatment to me. The following points have been discussed with me:
1. The mode of action of the treatment – The laser light penetrates the skin and is absorbed by the hemoglobin pigment in the blood vessel, causing a rapid heating of the blood. This process coagulates the blood and collapses the vein by scarring and blocking the flow of blood in these small, usually less than 2mm wide, superficial unnecessary veins.
2. The proposed benefits of the laser treatment – For most patients, this procedure will cause the elimination of the veins. It is recommended that you use pressure stockings or an ACE bandage for 1 week following the procedure to optimize the results (not provided). Significant vein clearance is obtained within 8 to 12 weeks.
3. The probability of success – Several treatments may be required to completely remove all veins in a determined area. However, some patients may not experience vein clearance even after multiple laser procedures. Results depend on many factors and it may not be possible to make every vein disappear.
Vein treatment with Laser is a common procedure that is safely performed on thousands of patients annually. Complications are rare and usually minor. However, complications may occur. I am aware of the following possible experiences with laser procedures:
1. DISCOMFORT- Mild pain may be experienced during laser treatment. Most people tolerate the procedure well, but some may need a topical anesthetic numbing cream.
2. HEALING – In a small percentage of people, laser treatment may result in swelling, blistering, crusting, flaking or burning of the treated area, which may require 2-4 weeks to heal. Once the surface has healed, it may be pink and sensitive to the sun for an additional 6 to 8 weeks, or longer in some patients. Only a small percentage of patients will have this problem.
3. BRUISING/SWELLING/INFECTION – Bruising of the treated area is commonly seen for 4 to 8 weeks. Swelling can occur after the procedure and last for several hours. A skin infection is a rare but possible complication.
4. PIGMENT CHANGES (Changes in skin color) – The treated area may become either lighter or darker in color than the surrounding skin. This effect typically resolves spontaneously in a few months, but can last much longer, and on rare occasions, it may be permanent.
5. SCARRING – Scarring is a rare occurrence, but it is a possibility when the surface of the skin is disrupted. To minimize the chances of complications, it is important that you follow all of the before and after instructions carefully.
6. EYE INJURY – Protective eyewear will be provided during the procedure. It is important to keep these shields on at all times during the treatment in order to protect your eyes from accidental laser exposure.
I understand that the laser personnel and physician will rely on statements made by me to determine that the procedure is safe and effective. I understand that laser vein treatment is not an exact science, and that no guarantee or assurances can be given to me concerning the results of this procedure.
I understand that any area near a tattoo that is receiving a laser treatment must be covered completely prior to my appointment. I understand that the surrounding skin and tattoo itself may be permanently altered with permanent skin changes including discoloration, scarring, and expected permanent disfigurement.
I, (PRINT NAME):___________________________, release the medical staff and technicians from all liability associated with the procedure. I certify that I am a competent adult of at least 18 years of age. This consent form is freely and voluntarily executed and shall be binding upon my spouse, relatives, legal representatives, heirs, administrators, successors, and assigns.
I have read this document in its entirety or it has been read to me and I fully understand its contents. All of my questions have been answered. I have not taken any medications which may impair my mental ability. I do not feel rushed or under any pressure. I acknowledge and understand that the following procedure has been described to me to my satisfaction.
I hereby give my unrestricted consent to the physician and laser personnel at AnuYou Institute, Inc., under the supervision of Kevin Hirsch, MD, FACS, to perform Laser Vein Treatment with the SYNERON e-Max LASER or CUTERA XEO.
Patient Signature: X________________________________________ Date: _________________
Witness Signature: X________________________________________ Date: _________________